Well the analysing and agonising is over. I've finally ordered the machine that will accompany me on the Etape and other adventures. I went for the Focus Cayo Expert which was never on the radar at all but I was swayed by a few things this weekend.
Firstly, I rode with someone on Saturday who had one and I liked the look of it and was surprised it was in my price range. Secondly my work situation is a bit precarious so I was persuaded to modify my 'ambitions' (read get real). It is true I had started looking at the Madone at around £1600, then what I could get for £2000 and then for £2500...Thirdly, Wiggle had a 15% reduction in prices for the weekend.
So for just under £1500 I picked up a bike which is "a little firm for sportives but fun for faster riding" (quote Cycling Plus 'Bike of the Year' where the Cayo scored 8/10). I might regret ignoring that comment but I will get a super light bike at under 8kg, Shimano Ultegra (50/34 11-28) and the Mavic Aksium wheels which I could always upgrade if the work situation improves. I'm quite looking forward to getting it now although it is nerve-racking buying a bike without sitting on it or test riding it first.
Well done on the new bike a popular choice and nice spec. I see more and more Focus bikes about nowadays so they must be doing something right.
ReplyDeleteMavic Aksium wheels will do you alright for a fair time. You will be glad you picked the compact chainset come the Tourmalet too :)
lovely machine. team Milram are riding Focus this year and they seem a really popular choice. hopefully it helps you slay the tourmalet!
ReplyDeleteMen thanks. @Alec, I think that compact will be OK for me but only time will tell I suppose. Rich thanks for that Team Milram comment because I wondered if any teams used Focus bikes.
ReplyDeleteLooks like a mighty fine machine! When will you get to christen it?
ReplyDeleteWe'll see Rob, I hope it was the right choice. It is being delivered tomorrow so at the weekend weather permitting I'll give it a try out.
ReplyDelete