Sunday, 28 March 2010

A finger of fudge is just enough...

First time out on the Sunday club ride today. I was warned that it would be quick and little mercy would be shown but although the group was a fraction of that on the Saturday ride (about 8 compared to about 60) I did get some lucky breaks that helped me keep up. Just.

Again on the hills my lack of pace showed all too early and I was soon puffing and panting on my own while the others just seemed to attack. I was out of my depth here really and it's probably fair to say my appearance on a Sunday ride came a little too early in my cycling career. Away from the significant hills I felt pretty good though and enjoyed being in the group.

There were 2 or 3 stops; 1 for a puncture and a couple for loo breaks and these should have given me a chance for a breather. Problem was these usually came after a hill so by the time I got to the group they were ready to leave so no respite for me. The final stop came at what I would guess was their halfway point and I got caught out filling my water bottle as they headed off again. I saw which way they went but I was too slow (for one thing I was trying to unwrap a Finger of Fudge wearing gloves - impossible while riding and even the teeth wouldn't break that wrapper!) and I lost them/they lost me.

So I made my own way home which was cool. I could go at my own pace and didn't have to keep scrambling to hang on to someone's wheel.

Not a bad weekend all in all I suppose: 109km (67.7 miles) today in around 4 hours 20mins and 60km (37.3 miles) yesterday. Lots of climbing which was good, today being 1215m of elevation. I saw that Lance twittered yesterday, "#feelingoldtoday". I know the feeling dude.

No comments:

Post a Comment