Sunday, 14 March 2010

Ich bin ein cyclist

Before this weekend had I been introduced to someone as a cyclist, as in, "allow me to introduce Andrew - he's a cyclist", I would have looked bashfully down to the floor and said something like, "well I don't know about that, I do ride bikes but I don't think I qualify as a cyclist". Well this weekend I think I can look the world in the eye and call myself a cyclist.

Had a great ride out with the club yesterday. It was a really good workout with a great group. Close to the finish I took a detour with one of the established riders to tackle a 20% incline. A real leg burner at the end of the ride but good experience for the Fred Whitton. Today I went out on my own for a spin round and I did some of the club ride in reverse tackling a 24% incline on the way out. This was unbelievably hard and I really struggled to stay upright but I got to the top, heart pounding. Chains are strong aren't they?! I'm surprised mine didn't snap. A nice sunny day but a strong headwind coming back made it tough.

Total ride time for the weekend was 5 1/2 hours. I didn't get to christen the new bike because I didn't get the pedals organised. Oh well, there's always next week and I did notice that the club riders still seem to be on winter bikes so I don't feel too bad.

2 comments:

  1. hi andrew. Im also a new DP member (who is also doing the etape). Let me know if you want to meet up for a few rides now that the weather appers to be improving.
    mick. syenite01 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mick, thanks for getting in touch. I'll drop you an email.

    ReplyDelete