Saturday, 20 March 2010

More spills than thrills

Five minutes from home this morning the skies opened and one of many drenchings set the scene for a pretty rough morning on the bike. The good: 3 1/2 hours riding with over 850m of elevation, meeting some more lovely people at the club including another brave soul who will take on the Tourmalet this year. The bad: crappy weather, potholes, idiotic car drivers and my first decent crash.

A moments lost concentration at the bottom of a steep hill found me smashing into a deep pothole and being thrown from the bike. I'm glad I was wearing my helmet because the headache I've had since could have been a lot worse without it. Apart from that all I've ended up with are a few grazes, bruises and some ruined kit. The other riders were really good about it and as it turned out I wasn't the only one on the ride to take a tumble today. Oh well, that's got it out of the way I suppose and it's all character building.

I just can't wait for some nice weather and getting out for a long ride on some good roads. The new machine is staying in the dry until things improve.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about you're spill, glad there was no damage done to rider or machine. We've been really fortunate up here that yesterday was the nicest day of the year and today is shaping up the same. Think we're having our summer 3 months early!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks mate, I got away lightly with this one it seems :-) I think I'll make a trip to Scotland although the weather seems a bit better here today and I'm pulling on the trainers for one of these Sport Relief running events so no bike which is annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think most people will admit they've had a spill at some point. I exited over the handlebars just 6 weeks prior to the 2008 Etape. Thankfully, I didn't break anything but it was a close thing.

    On such little strokes of luck does success or failure depend.

    That, and a hell of a lot of training.

    ReplyDelete