Tuesday, 23 March 2010

Inspirational people: vacancy filled

When I posted my 2nd entry on this blog about inspirational people I mentioned my friend Rich rd Hoyl nd who with St v Co was about to row across the Atlantic in a little 2 man rowing boat called No Fear. Well today has been quite emotional because we got news that they had finished and made land in Antigua. I am in awe of what they have achieved.

The very first time I met Rich rd all I really knew about him was that he cycled 25 miles each way to our office and that was impressive enough. We got chatting and he told me about his Atlantic rowing challenge which I knew someone at work was doing but I didn't know it was him. I rather cheesily said, "ah, yes, you're a legend" and he laughed. Legend status now truly earned I think. Just an extraordinary demonstration of human endurance which it would be impossible to understand without actually experiencing it.

Every time I need to head out to get the miles in and I'm feeling a bit knackered or the weather is a bit rubbish I must remember Rich and Steve in No Fear for 76 days slogging away, separated from loved ones and life's luxuries - all to realise their dream.

Here's the press release:
NO FEAR CROSSES THE FINISH LINE @ 0843 UTC 23 Mar 2010 16:12 GMT
St ph n Co and Rich rd Hoyl nd on boat No Fear completed the Atlantic Rowing Race 2009 on Monday 22 March 2010. They crossed the finish line at 8:43 UTC giving them a race time of 76 days 5 hours and 13 minutes and with it secured 14 position overall and 10 in the pair's class.

During the first 2 weeks No Fear were right up at the front end of the fleet, but as the poor weather took hold across the Atlantic they gradually fell back into the middle of the chasing pack. They regularly reported the continued affect that the adverse weather was having on morale, but despite this continued on towards their goal. Throughout the race they were fortunate enough to see fellow rowers and were in phone contact with others to regularly lift themselves and their competitors.

Just before making land in their final oceanic blog the two rowers paid tribute to all the help and support they have received from many people over the last 3 years and during the race itself. However, all the accolades must go the rowers themselves who for 76 days put themselves at the mercy of the Atlantic Ocean and ultimately came out winners. Well done St ph n and Rich rd and congratulations on your successful voyage.

No comments:

Post a Comment