Saturday, 9 January 2010

Winter bike

Today I went down to Evans Cycles shop at Gatwick which is attached to their warehouse and distribution centre. I wanted to try the Madone 4.5 but the weather was just so dreadful that taking a bike out in those conditions would have been tantamount to suicide.

Even so I got to sit on the Madone and try it for size. Sizing is tricky because I'm somewhere between a 56 and 58 and without riding both it is difficult to know which is best. The 56 I sat on is nearer the size of my Charge Plug but Evans offered to build up a 56 and 58 so I could go down at some point in the future, try them both, and take away the one I wanted. I think that is a pretty good offer and credit to Evans today because the service was A1.

While I was in there I spotted the Trek 1.2. It's loaded with Bontrager parts, carbon fork and the same paintjob as the Madone 4.5 - perfect as a winter bike and one I don't mind risking in the bike racks at work or taking on a flight. I snapped it up as they were offering 10% off the current list price of £624.99. Outstanding value. To take advantage of the 10% I also added some Mavic Race pedals because these were a star buy in Cycling Plus recently and some Mavic shoes - my first pair of cycling shoes. Wow they are groovy; silver and black. Doesn't the Mavic symbol look very much like the Morrisons supermarket symbol?

Just can't wait to get out on it now. Go on, call me a wimp for not getting out there in the snow!

2 comments:

  1. You're going to love that. My wife got the ladies-specific 1.2 at the same time I got my 4.5 and it still greatly enamoured of it.

    Cracking good bike. Can't wait to hear of your first outing. Make sure there's a downhill, and then tell me whether you have gears enough.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clive cheers - I'm looking forward to it. So much to learn re gear changing etc and you would have thought it very amusing the way it took me half an hour to get the rear wheel on once I got it home!

    ReplyDelete