Friday, 29 January 2010

Can you recommend a book?

I just read Johan Bruyneel's 'We Might as well Win' on the back of a recommendation by Dan J. It's a tremendous read - Bruyneel just comes over as a really lovely bloke. I obviously enjoyed the Armstrong references but Bruyneel's own story is worth reading and the sections on Contador are excellent.

So, if you can recommend my next cycling read then I'd be grateful.

Stuff I've already read:
It's not about the bike, Every second counts, Lance 2.0 by LA of course
Time crunched cyclist, LA Performance programme by Carmichael/Rutberg
B Wiggins, M Cavendish autobiographies

Cheers,
Andrew

6 comments:

  1. Give Greame Fife's "Tour De France - The history, The Legend, The Riders" a bash, its a great read and really makes you appreciate the history and legend of the tour. It also tracks his own own progress climbing some of the great passes in the tour. A good inspiring book to read in the build up to the Etape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rich. Just ordered it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andrew - here's a few from my book shelves....

    - Bad Blood, the secret life of the tour - Jeremy Whittle
    - French Revolutions - Tim Moore
    - The Death of Marco Pantani - Matt Rendel
    - The Rider - Tim Krabbe
    - The Escape Artist, life from the saddle - Matt Seaton

    All the best

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many thanks Stuart. That list will keep me going for the year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Stuart - Rendell's book covering the death of Pantani is a fantastic read. A passionate and almost forensic analysis of one of the Tour's great legends.

    Escape Artist is also very good. Matt Seaton is now a writer for the Guardian but at the time he wrote the book he was an amateur cyclist like us. Great insight into life in the part-time saddle.

    I'd also recommend Will Fotheringham's look at Tom Simpson - Put me back on my bike. A must read for every British cycling fan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks very much everyone - I really appreciate your replies.

    ReplyDelete