Saturday, 2 January 2010

What to buy?

I'm on the verge of ordering my race bike but still quite undecided. One of the first and best blogs I have found on the Etape is Karen Popplewell's (see my blog list for the link too) and I see she has gone for a Litespeed which is really stunning. I love Karen's blog, she comes across as such a lovely person and the Litespeed is a great choice but out of my league given my experience.

So I am thinking of a) a Trek Madone 4.5, more due to my Lance obsession than anything else b) a Boardman pro carbon because they come with rave reviews c) my latest favourite, a Van Nicholas which is a titanium build which looks terrific.

I really like the look of the Van Nicholas Mistral so I am going to do some real research on this and make a decision by next weekend. I like their website and the way you can build the bike from the components of your choice.


6 comments:

  1. I can confirm that the Madone 4.5 (with a triple in my case) is more than adequate for getting round an Etape and great fun to ride as well.

    Good luck in the Etape this year, despite the fact I chose not to return to the Tourmalet, I'm still more than a little envious. I'll keep an eye out.

    Clive

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Clive. The Madone was instinctively my first choice, and I must admit it 'feels' like the one. I will post when I make the decision.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andrew - I'd agree on the Madone, it's a beautiful bit of kit.

    All the best for the Etape. I've taken up the challenge too and look forward to following your progress.

    Stuart

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's looking like the Madone now, thanks Stuart. Really great to link to your blog too and I'm looking forward to reading your progress to our challenge. Thanks again. Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrew, you made my week with your very kind comments :-)
    Are you able to try any of the bikes? we have an excellent shop near to us - Royles - who have all kinds of amazing bikes ready to test (I test rode my litespeed and a look carbon number!). Might be worth looking for a shop where you can try a few out.
    Good luck - it took me ages to decide.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Karen! yours was the first blog I found when researching the Etape and I found it very inspirational. Good advice on the bike choice, thank you. It is an expensive purchase and I want to make the right decision: will try to do what you suggest re the trials.

    ReplyDelete