I set off to try and pick up the course for the Ashdown and did indeed pass the start (and finish) but I only saw a couple of riders. I do hope that Rob S took part and will blog it. If my loop was a tiny part of what those cyclists took on then it's a very challenging ride indeed. I tried to follow the same course but looking at it now I soon deviated.
The furthest out I went was a place called Edenbridge and then I more or less retraced the route back. Instead of climbing Westerham Hill I headed out towards Croydon and looped back round to Biggin Hill and home.
If I'm honest I'd have to say I found the 70km pretty tough. I am suffering with a bit of man flu which didn't help but I got to dread seeing the word 'Hill' on the road signs. Here are just some examples:
- Berry's Hill
- Church Hill (x2)
- Hosey Hill
- Ricketts Hill
- Stock Hill
So I'm sure this is nothing compared with what we will face in the Etape or indeed in The Fred/Dales but for a chilly Sunday in Kent it was quite hard.
Hi Andrew
ReplyDeleteIt must have been a hard day down there. We have not got the weather for enjoyable cycling at the moment have we.
I hope in 5 weeks time it will be better. The Fred is a tough one lol. I have the Etape Cal on the 16th of May.
Alec
It was nice and bright today but cold with some ice around. I looked at the Etape Cal and it looks a super test. Let's hope the weather warms up soon.
ReplyDeleteHi Andrew,
ReplyDeleteGlad you were able to sample some of the hills. I was also braving the cold that morning - I've put a few notes on the ride here:
http://ironetape.blogspot.com/2010/02/hell-of-ashdown-2010.html
Rob