Saturday, 23 January 2010

Humbled

First ride out on the Trek today and clocked up 50 miles. Went like a dream.

Well that's what I thought I'd be writing but it wasn't quite like that. More nightmare than dream. As I write this I feel like it is being written to amuse and entertain but unfortunately I'm not really laughing at the moment, just feeling a bit peeved that I could get it so wrong.

So I spent some time this morning putting on my new saddle bag, bottle cage and sitting on the bike holding on to something understanding how to clip in / out. No problem I thought so I headed out the front door and rather shakily free-wheeled down the road. Now I had 2 choices: steep hill down or traffic clogged main road so I chose the main road. I tried the brakes and thought, "Ah, now I know why it was 'good value' the brake levers are all wobbly, I'll have to change them".

I was in the highest gear and it dawned on me that I needed to change down before hitting the traffic yet I couldn't do it. I flicked at the levers either side, held them, pulled them but nothing. Suddenly the chain did jump across from the big front cog to the smallest but then I was doing something my research told me to avoid - I was x-chaining. So more flicking and holding of the levers but again nothing. After a bit I pulled in and tried to work out what was wrong. In the end I called my wife who looked on t'internet and told me that those wobbly brake levers also doubled as gear changers! Well I wouldn't have worked that out in a thousand years but ta-da I could change gear and I apologised out loud to Trek for what I'd said about cheap crap.

I headed back out onto the main road and thought this is it, for the first time since I started cycling I've got gears, I've got water to drink and an energy bar in my snazzy new saddle bag - let's get those miles in. And then I hit the first set of traffic lights. As I started to weave through the cars to get to the front as I always do, I realised I was going too fast. In the next few seconds I forgot that I couldn't use my legs to brake as I do so easily on the fixed gear and I nearly hit a car: I panicked as I swerved and then secondly forgot about being clipped in. And so, cliche, upon parody upon cliche I embarrassingly started to fall to one side in slow motion until I hit the deck albeit luckily on the kerb side. Once I picked myself up I carried on for a few more miles but my heart wasn't in it, I was cold from all the messing about and to be quite honest I just wanted to go home and hide which is what I did.

So my new bike is a bit scuffed but no mechanical damage has been done as far as I know. I'm disappointed not to get any workout at all and I never felt comfortable at any point on the bike yet I guess I should try to find some positives.

The size of the bike feels pretty good. There is a bit more of a stretch than I am used to and the bars are 4-5cm higher than on my fixie but I will see how that goes before altering the set up. The quality of the bike is outstanding considering the cost and I think as a winter/spare bike it is absolutely ideal. Given today's experience I'm glad I haven't shelled out a fortune on a carbon/titanium job just yet. I thought riding back that although I feel physically fit I am well out of my depth when it comes to sportives, particularly The Fred etc. but if there is one thing that drives me on is someone (including myself - weird huh!) telling me I couldn't do something.

And to the lads who cheered and laughed when I fell off, I forgive you, I deserved to be mocked. I would have probably done the same and I'm sorry for calling you twats.

8 comments:

  1. Hey Andrew sounds like you had a day full of events but learning ones.

    I have fell over clipped in as well a few times.

    The most embarrassing one was outside a Tesco doing a track stand as a nice blonde girl was giving me smiles :) I payed more attention to flirting with her than I did my balance and fell over very embarrassed :)

    A lof of cycling folk say the best place to get used to clipping in and out is on a turbo or even between a door in the house. It is also a good idea to go to the local park and ride on the grass/soft ground for a while just to get used to a new bike.

    I take it this is your first bike with STI shifters? It was mine too about 5 years ago as I had a 12yr break from cycling road bikes when shifters were on the down tube.

    Im sure you will do fine.next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Alec, hah your blonde story made me laugh (in a nice way!). The gears are Shimano Sora so you push the brake levers in towards each other to move to a bigger ring and then the little trigger on the inside of the brake levers to move down. Easy when you know how but I wouldn't have dreamt that it would be this way. Might get out tomorrow and see if I can get some confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Andrew - I wouldn't feel bad about your incident with your clips. We've all done it a few times, even when we should be used to them. I once fell over in slow-motion style at a set of lights in Greenwich which was witnessed by a white van man. We both had a chuckle about it and as no damage was done, I count myself lucky enough. Don't let it put you off - get back out on that Trek!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to road cycling. Believe it or not, we've all been there (or at least most people I know have).

    Why didn't anyone tell you? Remember the first rule of Fight Club? Would you have believed us?

    Seriously, my first experience on a road bike was similar, but I'd done the research on the shifters by boring the bike shop stupid beforehand, so all I did was change UP on a steep hill and fall over sideways when all forward motion ceased.

    Concentrate on the flattish stuff for now. Get used to it before you find what 40mph feels like on a road bike (great) and get used to the gears on the flat before you really need them. Baptism over. Time to start enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alec, Dan, Clive I am genuinely grateful for the reassurance in your comments. Thanks for the stories - you've encouraged me and made me laugh. I really hope I'll get the chance to buy you a cold beer one day if we cross paths at an event. @Dan - Greenwich is not far from me so yes I can identify with that one, and Clive as always love your "baptism over" comment, well put as always. Tomorrow is another day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrew, my ride today started in almost the same fashion except i hit black ice at Loch Lomond after 100metres of stepping off the train, skittled along on my side into a hedge. Nonetheless i dusted myself off and me and a friend had a brilliant 65mile ride. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and all that jazz...hope to hear a report tomorrow of a successful day in the saddle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A cold beer after the Etape du Dales. Now that sounds like a good idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Rich - that sounds nasty, I'm glad you are ok. I'm more spirited than yesterday for sure.
    @Clive - let's do it, I'd really like that. I meant to look to see if I was clashing on any events with other bloggers so we'll swap details nearer the time.

    ReplyDelete