Thursday, 21 January 2010

Cadence is king

There is a one pager in Men's Fitness magazine by David Millar. He's very well respected so I was quite keen to see what advice he had for the budding cyclist.

A couple of things stood out:
  • Trimming down will make an exponential difference. Yep, got that and working on it.
  • If you get a friend to photograph or video you and you don't look anything like a pro then you are doing something wrong. Not sure I can look like a pro but I might try this.
And then most interestingly to me -
  • Cadence is king: Your cadence should be around 100 on the flat and 90-95 on hills. Dropping to 75-80 spins per minute is grossly inefficient.
Well I've just ordered a computer with cadence monitor so I am keen to know what it feels like spinning at the cadence he advises. Anyone know from their own cadence numbers if these figures are realistic/achievable? Seems high to me but then I've never known what my cadence is.

6 comments:

  1. Hi there

    Personally I am about 85-90, anything over that is too much of a effort to keep up.

    I had to learn to keep it at 85-90 for a while useing a cadence meter. Now I kida know when I am in the 85-90 range.

    I would say the higher your comfortable at the better and a cadence meter is a good investment.

    Alec.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think one of the problems with maintaining that sort of cadence in the hills is not having low enough gearing (or conversely enough power!).

    I've been working on my cadence on the turbo and have to concentrate to keep it at 90, I tend to drop to the high-80's so am pretty much in line with Alec. I count my cadence rather than have a computer - it gives me something to think about to ease the boredom!

    As with most things I doubt there's a one size fits all solution. I bet you'd find a wide range of typical cadences in the peloton. What's best for you will no doubt depend on your own body, leg power etc

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  3. You certainly can train yourself to be hitting 85 to 95 consistently - after a bit of practice it doesn't feel as alien as it did when you first began. I've had to concentrate on doing that quite hard at times but I think it has been beneficial overall.

    I don't think it's as important for us amateurs to hit 100 - maybe if you are a pro and you need to launch an attack on a steep climb you need the higher cadence, but there will be times when turning a bigger gear along a flat section at a lower cadence will work for us (especially in training!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that turning a big gear along a stretch of flat at about 65-70 has its place as well.

    Particularly during recovery or just to give the legs a rest and stretch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My own optimum is usually between 85-92. Working with a cadence sensor on a turbo will help you find what feels comfortable and then translate that onto the road.
    Finding a balance climbing is a bit tougher though as its quite a personal thing. Good luck experimenting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Guys thanks, really value your comments. Going everywhere on a bike with the only choice being 77 gear inches I'm going to be fascinated to see how it feels with a range of gears and skinnier tyres (from 700x28 to 700x23). I'm looking forward to reporting back when I get the cadence sensor fitted. I was quite looking forward to grinding away on a big gear pumping up the legs and like you say it all has its place in the training.

    ReplyDelete