Friday, 4 December 2009

First training session


So this is the first time I have been out for a bike ride for exercise. Just to clarify; when cycling to work I do close to 28 miles per day and try to do some intervals during the journey but it is tricky to go hard due to traffic.

Headed out towards Hayes, then on to Keston, Biggin Hill and through to Westerham. Surprised how I found myself gently but constantly climbing until Westerham Hill which was a rather unpleasant steep descent - very tough on a fixed gear bike. Stopped for a couple of minutes on the green in Westerham to take a photo by Churchill's statue and then headed back for home.

Here I went a bit wrong trying to avoid climbing Westerham Hill. Headed up a country lane which was awash with rain water and muck including some very smelly stuff seeping out of a farm. I was soon covered in the smelly stuff (*hangs head in shame - no mudguards) and then found myself back at Westerham Hill anyway as I rejoined the main road. From a standing start I did try to cycle up it but after about 50m I could feel there was no way I would get anywhere near the top so I pulled in and endured the shame of walking up to near the top.

Started to feel a bit cold, thirsty and hungry so headed for home clocking up a neat 50km.

So what did I learn from this first 2 hour+ ride?

• I loved it, particularly once away from heavy traffic

• I found the hill that beat me on the fixie (first one that has!)

• I should prepare better for slightly longer rides (see below)

• I should take a drink next time

• I should take a little snack next time like an energy bar or a banana

• I will go back to Westerham Hill one day and beat it

There might be a way to publish the map of the route here but for now here is a link:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/20029883

No comments:

Post a Comment