Monday, 3 May 2010

First brick session

I've been a bit short of time this weekend and the weather (while I was training today I had warm sun , heavy rain & hailstones all in the same hour!) has been awful which meant I didn't get out for any long rides. On Saturday I just did 45 minutes of push-ups, kettlebell swings, pull-ups and some simple core work. Sunday was alternating front squats and hanging leg raises for no more than 30 minutes.

Today I thought I would try my first brick session, just to get a little taster of what my duathlon training might be like. I picked a hilly route and ran 1 x 5km circuit and then straight on the bike for 2 loops and then one more run of the same. I rode the fixie which made the hills more testing, just about getting over the top, grinding super slowly. Going from run to bike was fine but I was a little bit stiff going from bike to run but that's the whole idea of the brick sessions I guess and I'm looking forward to extending the distance on these or more repeats e.g. run/bike/run/bike/run.

2 comments:

  1. Comrade! I have entered the way of the kettlebell also with the wisdom of Pavel http://www.dragondoor.com/ I love KB at the moment.

    Hard training there Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, I love Pavel's stuff. I just don't do enough kb training tbh - as a cardio workout it is difficult to beat. So much to fit in isn't there?

    ReplyDelete