First of all, the people who put this event together ought to get some kind of award because although I have nothing to compare it against I thought the organisation was marvellous. From the communication before the event through the registration, marshalling and food I thought it was just incredibly slick. Bundle in the wonderful support from watchers around the course and this is a very special event. Hats off to everyone involved.
So to the ride. We drove up on Saturday which took a touch over 5 hours but I felt pretty good. Strolled down from the hotel to register feeling very nervy about the whole process but it was easy enough. The dibber was strapped (taped) to my wrist which was funny because I then spent the rest of the day checking out other people to see if they were wearing this gadget too. I wasn't sure what was best to eat the day before - I'd got a bit sick of pasta the last couple of days - so I went for egg, sausage and chips! Spent the evening in the hotel and then shut my eyes about 10.30 hoping to sleep in until 6am. Unfortunately I woke at about 4 and couldn't get back to sleep so I eventually got up and did my usual faffing about routine much to the annoyance of my poor family trying to sleep. I finally headed to the start at 6.30ish and then turned back because I had forgotten my glasses. Duh. Dibbed in and then cycled across the grass to get on the road and begin my first sportive.
I will tell you now just in case you are bored already and want to close the page that I did finish. Hurrah - my first sportive and first century done (well 112 miles to be exact which exceeds my longest ride to date by about 44 miles!). I will also tell you that it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Oh no. It was a 100 times harder than that. Jeeeezzzz, whose idea was this?
The climbing starts about a mile from the start (Hawkshead Hill 197m). Cruel I thought. Can't we just ease into this thing? No, that's not the FW way. I felt good on Hawkshead and for me climbed quite strongly, passing quite a few other riders. I actually enjoyed Kirkstone and felt a great sense of achievement knowing the highest point was behind me. The descent was a blast. Matterdale and Honister were tough but although my heart was pounding and I was breathing heavily I felt in control. And then I started to feel a bit rough.
One event didn't help: I suffer from bad vertigo and on one of the climbs I looked left and there was a rolling valley beneath; not a steep drop to it but the scale and height spooked me and like the big lemon I am I had a bit of a panic. I tried not to look left but I knew it was there and this is going to sound wet but it was quite distressing. This sapped what energy I had left, made me feel nauseous, and it was a little while before I could settle down again. From this point on it was all a bit of a struggle. I just resolved to plug away, not rushing, not worrying about being passed - just wanting it to be over.
At Hardknott I was more or less cooked. On one of the steep early sections I got off and walked which was very slow going. There were so many walking that it eased my guilt and then I managed to get on and ride up a short stretch. I was soon overtaken by a 4x4 which pushed me to the edge of the road but there was just room for me to keep going. However, the stink of the exhaust fumes as it struggled to get up the hill just mad me gag and I once again was pushing the bike up. Pushing the bike sounds easy but it wasn't so simple. I must have looked a right state slumped across the bike, mouth gaping.
I knew the worst was over and the last couple of hills were climbed very slowly and painfully before putting in a bit of a spurt down to Coniston and the relief of the finish.
My time was 8:18. I managed to avoid crashing or injuring myself which is a big bonus. Did I enjoy it? It is very arduous and probably tomorrow I will feel more upbeat but tonight I am glad it is over. I will only be able to put it into perspective when I have completed a few more events but I am guessing that the Cycling Weekly quote "the daddy of them all" will probably hold true.
Great stuff Andrew. Congratulations on getting round in a good time. That must give you a lot of confidence about your climbing ability for the Etape!
ReplyDelete8.18?! I don't care how much training you've done for a first Sportive (and the FW no less) that is a great achievement. Congratulations!
ReplyDeletePresume it was Newlands that induced the delights of Vertigo, have had a similar episode in my car going over there but on the bike I was ok as i was moving so slowly my brain knew there was no chance of me leaving the road!
Etape du Tour ? - ce n'est pas un problème!
Hi Andrew
ReplyDeleteGreat report on the FWC and brilliant time of 8.18. I also rode it for the first time yesterday and was pleased with my time of 8.48
Its interesting to compare other riders experiences and 'fears' Its the steep descents that really phase me and I lose a lot of time on them.
Despite riding the likes of Kirkstone several times it never gets any easier. Its frustrating coming down Hardknott for instance gripping the bars and brakes in a state of terror whilst other riders go by with ease.
Anyway well done and you are right Paul Loftus and his team organise everything to perfection.
8:18 - awesome!! Etape will be a doddle for you ;-)
ReplyDeleteTotally understand your fear of heights - fellow sufferer so doesn't sound lemonish to me at all. In the Alps, my eyes stopped me going higher up the mountains rather than my legs/heart.
Well done, super report Andrew. Etape will be nae problemo :)
ReplyDeleteThanks very much for your comments everyone, I'm really grateful.
ReplyDelete@Rob - still gutted for you but again your bloody mindedness in doing what you did is unbelievable.
@Zugz - It could well have been Newlands. Oh well, I'll have to wear blinkers from now on!
@Mike - congratulations to you and many thanks. The descents were so steep and I can't remember which one just had me and bike shaking with the vibration of the rutted road. I nearly lost it at the bottom on Honister on that sharp right over the bridge.
@Karen - Confidence on the rise now. Bring on the Dales :-)
@Alec - cheers mate...we'll nail that Tourmalet alright!