Monday, 17 May 2010

Malcolm Elliot?

I've just seen that the fastest time for the Etape du Dales was by one Malcolm Elliot (5:43). Not sure if this is THE Malcolm Elliot but I guess there is a chance it could be. Very impressive indeed.

Update:
Many thanks to Zugz for this link. It was indeed the truly amazing Mr Elliot. I wish I had known he was out on the course, it would have really given me a boost.

Apologies for the © breach on the photo to whoever owns it. Will remove if caught!

5 comments:

  1. Looks like it is indeed Andrew:
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/469450/elliott-sets-new-etape-du-dales-record.html

    Congratulations on the ride yesterday and thanks for the swift report as ever. How did you rate it versus the Fred Whitton difficulty wise?

    I recently did 4 80 - 100 mile rides (and nowhere near as tough as the two you've done either) in the space of 4 weeks and towards the end of the stretch my legs were shot! At the time i didnt notice it so much but having had a relative break doing other triathlon cross training i felt like i had new legs when i went out for a 50 mile spin again at the weekend! Be interesting to see how you go on as you continue your "mad May", fine effort so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot zugz. I'm feeling shot already. Felt fine last week after the Fred and today very stiff indeed. I'm supposed to be doing the Kind of the Downs at the weekend but although I feel I have some unfinished business I can't see I will get a lot out of it. Probably better to recover and build up the training again. You're training for a triathlon? What event is it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could be a good plan to recover but then again would be an impressive hat trick and loads of time to get over it before the etape!

    As for me i entered the Etape then thought why not make the most of the fitness gained so I then put in a rash kamikaze entry to Ironman UK which is two weeks later. I will be very out of my depth there as i'm cr@p at running but the plan is to shuffle/stagger by that stage anyway and see if i can get round inside the 17 hour limit. Having great fun training anyway and i do like the in at the deep end feeling......

    ReplyDelete
  4. A guy in orange and black absolutely flew past me towards the end - serious, serious speed. I wonder if it was him.
    5.43 is ridiculous :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't quite comprehend how another human being can do the same course as I did but 3 hours faster. Quite humbling really.
    Zugz - good luck with the IronMan. That's an awesome challenge but to do it 2 weeks after the Etape puts it into a different dimension altogether. I'd like to have a go but the only swimming stroke I can do is a very pathetic breast-stroke. MAybe next year....

    ReplyDelete