Having completed 2 sportives I will allow myself confidence that I can indeed cycle for 8-9 hours and cover 100+ miles. There are 2 Etape factors that I haven't catered for yet though:
1) The heat (if it is a hot day).
2) The length of the climbs. The Etape du Dales had some long climbs but not as long as we will face in the Pyrenees.
On Sunday I am supposed to be doing the King of the Downs sportive (although my paid entry has been lost due to a system error!) but I'm undecided. Looking at the forecast it might be a good chance to experience (1) but the climbing looks to be more like the EdD or the FW rather than the Etape and I can ride those roads anytime as they are close by. We'll see if I can wangle another day of non-family time to spend on the bike but it's unlikely.
This week I've felt surprisingly good. Monday I was drained after the EdD, stiff as hell. Nobody told me my arms would ache as much as my legs! Tuesday though I did loads of cardio in the gym (rowing, cycling, running) + core work. Wednesday I cycled into work, ran 5.5 miles at lunchtime in the sunshine and then cycled home hard. Thursday another cycle and a great gym session of front squats, deadlifts + core specific work. Today I've rested with an eye on Sunday's event.
I hate to tell you this, but its not 8 training weeks, 'cos at least one of those weeks, possibly two needs (NEEDS) to be a recovery week or else you will break down.
ReplyDeleteDon't sweat it, you'll be ready
Hi Andrew
ReplyDeleteI am sure you will do the the Etape and do it well. I agree with what Clive says, take it easy on the run up to the Etape and rest up well to get ready for the big day. I am glad you are looking ahead to the Etape rather than fearing it.
I do not mean to be-little any UK sportive or make less of them but they do not compare to a stage of the tour we will do. I have done many UK sportives and I can say they do not compare to the Etape du Tour NO WAY.
I really do think it is 80% mental and thats a big %. What I mean to say basically is: Once you get past your physical limit and get by the pain in your legs all that is left to make you give up is your will power and if you want to finish or not.
I did the Etape Caledonia last week and it was a very hard ride for sure and I did the time I wanted to do and was pleased. But NOT for one 1min did it really every test me! a ride like that can not really test I think. But try to climb the tourmalet for 2 hours! thats when you WILL get really tested.
Thats the way I see it. It is ofcourse purely personal, to most the Etape can be a walk in the park but if it is for you a walk in the park what is the point? The whole idea is you against you and pushing yourself? I mean that is why we are doing this isnt it? If it was easy why would we care or where is the achivement?
Well done Andrew, 8 weeks till to go aching to get out of Glasgow and into home.
That was the point I was trying to make. I don't feel in any way that it's job done. The 2 additional factors that I pointed out can make a huge difference I'm sure. What it's coming down to is this. Unless I get a mechanical problem or an injury I'm going to finish the Etape. But that's not enough. I want to come off Tourmalet knowing that I gave it my best and in doing so post a time I can be proud of.
ReplyDeleteAt the FW I had a good period in the first third and then it was tough going. It's supposed to be tough like you say Alec so that's fine. At the EdD I struggled all the way through. I feel like I got something wrong that day and it wasn't good enough. It's not just about my time - if I had a good start and then got more tired I would feel happy with my time but it wasn't like that.
Do you think not doing anything at all in the last week is best? I was thinking just easy riding and then we'll be travelling from the Friday anyway so that will stop me getting on the bike.