Thursday, 4 February 2010

So what's in a heartbeat

Training has taken a rare back-seat this week due to our house move unfortunately coinciding with me at vendor meetings away from my office and gym for 2 days. So apart from the weights/kettlebell routine on Monday and a 2 mile ride tonight, transferring my bike from one house to the other, all I have done is the TCTP field test on Tuesday.

Apologies to the 'Time Crunched' authors and any purists out there but for practical reasons I did this on the spin bike. I didn't think I could find a road between home and central London on which to do 1, let alone 2, eyeballs out 8 minute intervals. So I have no readings on power or cadence and for now have to rely on heart rate. Not best but it's a start.

So what do you make of my heart rate chart? I'm curious. I felt pretty good and hand on heart(!) don't think I could have pedalled harder. My cadence was good, the resistance (gear) was not too easy/not too hard but I could not get my heart rate up any higher. The chart doesn't show for some odd reason that my HR did actually peak at 173bpm. Out on the road climbing, I can get to just above 180 but during this test 173 was the tops.
Now what can I expect to happen as my fitness improves? I am confused by this. Instinct says that as I get fitter I would need the heart to beat less frequently to do an equal amount of work i.e. I could do the same work as in this field test but my heart rate would be lower. Is this right? Equally as I get fitter I should be able to do more work so therefore I should be able to push my heart rate higher (without collapsing!).

As always I'd be grateful for any comments. I will try to do the field test out on the road soon and I will do it again maybe on the spin bike at some point in the future to see how it compares. Hopefully I will be able to get out for a ride at the weekend but for now it is unpacking boxes and reorganising home life that takes priority I guess.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Andrew

    I looks like in your second effort you were more at your max hr than in the first.

    I can not see any data for you max avg hr over the two sessions. That is the data you need. Maybe you can post that up.

    As for improvement: I am no expert to advice but as you get fitter and do the TCTP you will output more power at your LT and Vo2 max.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I saw afterwards that I would need to set the Garmin to give me the avg HR for the 8 minute intervals. Next time I do the test I will set it up properly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It should tell you your avg hr if you uploaded it do garmin connect on the left of the chart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. True but it shows the avg HR for the whole workout not just the 8 minute intervals :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah fair point.

    ReplyDelete