Tuesday, 23 February 2010

Run, Row, Ride

My gym has set another challenge: 5km run (treadmill), 5km row, 5km bike. Clock starts when you press Start on the treadmill and stops when you press Stop on the bike. The PTs thought the benchmark for men was 55:55 and one of them put in a 54:50. My time was 56:17 which I am quite pleased with but annoyed that I missed out on the benchmark by just 22 secs. Had I not faffed around setting up the rower in transition (see HR chart for obvious dip!) I would have made it I think (just).
Women were given an extra 10 minutes which I thought was quite generous. I moaned (as I am prone to doing) that they should consider old people like me. I mean, should I be 10 minutes faster than a fit 25 year old woman? They offered to put me in the same category as the ladeez but I declined. Next time I will nail the time no probs but it's not easy at all (Avg HR 165, Max HR 180).

2 comments:

  1. Good effort, those challenges are damn hard! I remember doing one in my old gym that involved a short Run-Jumps-Pushups-Row-Cycle combo....come the end i couldn't get my time as i was leggin it to the disabled toilets to throw up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah gyms are pretty boring aren't they. I mean not as good as getting out in the fresh air. These challenges liven things up and I must say today's was quite painful. I will have another assault on it in a weeks time and do better.

    ReplyDelete