Sunday, 27 June 2010

Toys Hill ride

Anyone in a Sarf East London or North Kent club or who has ridden a Kent sportive will probably be familiar with Toys Hill. I had heard about it but never ridden it so I went out to put that right this morning. What a cracking ride.

4:41 in the sunshine with two ascents of Toys Hill and another corker round the corner called Yorkshill (yep, one word) which I also did twice. I haven't got the individual stats for the two main climbs but the total elevation gain for the ride was 1,733m. I felt quite good riding back to home and I even braved the fast and busy A21 where I got into time-trial mode and really went for it. .

I do have a problem with the bike. Last weekend I noticed too much vibration coming through the handlebars and a slight clonking. I tightened the headset but while out today it was the same making me nervous on the downhills. When I got home I shook the front of the bike and there is clearly something loose with a clear clonk coming from the forks /headset. I will get it serviced before the Etape so better to find out now.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're building up nicely to the big day. Not long now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel okay really. Just can't imagine what it is going to be like taking on the Marie-Blanque or spending 2 hours going up and up Tourmalet. Can any training really prepare you for that except actually getting out there and trying it. Glad your knee is holding up Rob. I do hope we can find a way of saying hello out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a bit unfathomable at times isn't it. I guess we've just got to keep on pedalling! I managed a century at the weekend on the knee so I'm getting more and more confident about being able to give it a go. I've missed quite a few key training sessions though so it could be a bit of a slog!

    Would be great to say hello out there, either in the pen or for a celebratory beer.

    ReplyDelete