Cycling gear is just an Aladdin's cave for me. So alluring that I just want to click, click, click, spend spend, spend. I do think (errr I've been told) that I've got all I need now. The one area though that I've skimped on is clothing as I've just bought some cheapies from eBay. So I thought for the Etape I would buy something top-notch. Comfortable, light, lots of storage but something of the quality of a Rapha. You know, a Sunday best.
I saw this post on another blog that seems to have dried up which is a shame because there was some good stuff on there:
"Do NOT under any circumstances wear any of the following: Maillot Jaune, Maillot a Pois, Maillot Blanc, World Champion, National Champion. I'll allow current pro team replica kits because I'm feeling generous and they're quite reasonably priced in general. If you ride for a club, you should wear your club kit."
Minefield. The sartorial faux-pas equivalent of using an iPod? So what to go for? I'm not riding in the club kit because I don't have it, haven't been with them long enough, don't ride 'for' the club just 'with' it and what would it do for their reputation anyway when there are photos of a tubby rider slumped at the roadside being given oxygen wearing their kit? I'm tempted by something so ghastly it's quite brilliant (see pic and please don't comment saying "Oi, that's me and my Mrs."). I'm also thinking of wearing Spanish colours. It would be quite distinctive and as an hispanophile I'd like to be able to say a few holas to any Spaniards on the ride and you never know it might help (depending on the nationality of whoever is riding by!) should I need assistance at some point with a mechanical.
Knowing me I'll probably end up going for safe ground with something comfy but bland but if you see a bloke on a Focus and with a LiveStrong helmet wearing fuschia pink then that might just be me.
hiya, Thanks for reading my blog. Sorry I haven't been updating it as my planning/organisation for the Etape has been dreadful this year and most of my blogging goes on http://www.atomicecho.com/cycling these days.
ReplyDeleteWith kit the one thing I'd recommend above all else is spend the money on shorts and shoes. They're the areas that I find really take the most abuse on the big rides and the ones where you'll notice the discomfort most readily.
Jersey-wise the market is much better now than when I wrote that. Ideally look for something light coloured to reflect the heat. Go with white if you're not the sort to worry about getting it dirty/don't get things grubby.
Good luck with it, I'm looking forward to facing the challenge after a couple of years of not doing it.
Hi Alex, I'm glad you are still active and I'll link into atomicecho - many thanks for adding the comment here. Good advice on the shorts/shoes, thanks - sounds sensible to me.
ReplyDelete