
You know I've conjured up all sorts of excuses for myself over the last few weeks. Insert any of the following into the phrase -
I'm rubbish at climbing hills because... and you'll get my recent state of mind.
- ...I'm too old.
- ...I haven't trained right.
- ...I've got the wrong gears.
- ...I just don't have what it takes.
- ...I'm ill.
- ...I'm overweight.
- ...I'm a weakling.
- ...
Today though I found out why everyone else is quicker than me uphill. I had some spare time so I really gave the Trek a good clean. I thought I had kept it clean through the winter but the state of it once I'd got a few parts off was pitiful.
And then it dawned on me. Bike + Me + Crud ≈ 100Kg
No wonder I was struggling ;-)
My hill climbing sucks too and it does not help that I have a rubber rather than hard plastic/carbon shoe sole. I hope that the new Sidi road shoes I have might help me get up hills faster.
ReplyDeleteI enjoy powering up shorter hills it helps raise confidence.
You see it's not that long ago that I would read about the better power transfer from carbon soled shoes and thought "what a load of b*ll*cks". And now I'm the proud owner of carbon soled shoes! Sidi shoes are about the best you can get right? Blimming expensive but they look superb. The adverts are just plain odd with all that nudity but the shoes are the tops.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI have been using touring shoes with a rubber base for years. I just liked the idea of a shoe you can walk in so never moved over to a real road shoe. I suppose I will output more power but I do not know if it will make me a faster climber by any significant amount?
ReplyDeleteI should hopefully have the Sidi's on next weekend as I still have to get new look cleats and pedals.
The Sidi ones are expensive but unlike tyres they should last year after year so its worth getting a good pair.