Saturday, 3 April 2010

A Whole New World

Right, this is a fresh start - the beginning of a new training period. Since my post about my poor climbing ability I've listened intently to what you've told me and I know what I have to do. Periodization: A 4 week training block focused on climbing. After reading all the books and magazine articles I'm back with the first book I ever bought on cycling, The Lance Armstrong Performance Program.

Just to break it down I need to work on:
  • Increasing my aerobic capacity
  • Increasing my power
  • Improving my technique
With perfect timing, the long planned Easter training holiday is finally here. The destination, Mallorca, was only chosen this week and it seems to fit the bill perfectly. The weather forecast looks pretty good and there is some good climbing to be had in the mountains. I (we) booked a property right at the gateway to all this and I'm really looking forward to it. I wanted to tackle some hills that would compare well with what I will face in the Etape, Puig Major being the biggest. Looking at the slope of these lines then I think it will be something between the first 14km of the Tourmalet and the last two-thirds of Soulor:
Training will be in the mornings and I intend to the follow this plan for the 5 days:
I leave you with the truly repulsive Peter Andre and Jordan to 'sing' us out...don't get too emotional now ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Good luck Andrew with the trip.

    I voted not to watch the Peter and Jordan clip on Youtube but I get your idea :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Alec. Good decision on not watching the vid!

    ReplyDelete