The Mallorca trip was a great start to my 4 week climbing training block. Before we left I did get out to do some hill repeats and I've included those in my weekly totals, HR hitting my max around 178bpm quite nicely. Time/distance is less important at the moment but I've included it all in for reference.- Riding distance: 302km
- Riding time: 13 hours 28 mins
- Total climbing: 4626m
- No gym but I did do 1 hour of bodyweight exercises
I hope everyone's training is going well. I have been catching up on the blogs and it seems everyone is putting in the miles which is fantastic to see.
Great effort Andrew, I'm sure you gained a lot from your trip. I'm looking forward to getting a spare moment to read through your entries properly.
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure how you feel, but my legs were sore and very tired for an entire week after my trip. I'm glad I didn't overtrain during that time because I can really feel the benefit now.
Thanks Dan, it really was a good experience. I feel pretty good now and I'm yearning to get out for more riding. Apart from a short run and then ride yesterday (Sunday) I haven't done much since Friday lunchtime so all recovered now. Work can be a bit of a training killer can't it!
ReplyDeleteSounds like a great trip and great training. Sure it'll stand you in good stead come July!
ReplyDeleteI hope so Rob. Little by little it all helps I suppose.
ReplyDeleteWell done Andrew and thanks for the write up.
ReplyDelete150 solid miles in the Lakes for me last weekend including the Lakeland Loop Sportive. I wish you the same stunning weather and views i had when you do the Fred Whitton!
Good effort in the Lakes! How did you do in the Lakeland Loop? Did you see Karen Popplewell's write up - what a day she had.
ReplyDeleteCheers - Lakeland Loop was great thanks, learnt lots....Total time incl stops around 6 hours which i was ok with after getting a bit carried away the day before and doing 80 hilly miles! Also lost a lot of time at the end after i mangled my cleats scaling Hardnott Pass and couldnt clip in at all for last few hills and descents!
ReplyDeleteYes i read about Karen Popplewell's ride. V eventful. The hill she took a fall on was innocuous looking but v steep and slippy in parts.
V envious of those doing the Fred now but I'll save that up for another year!
80 miles the day before! Outrageous. It seems a bit silly that the Fred will be my first sportive but I'll give it a go.
ReplyDeleteI think its great Fred Whitton is your first. In at the deep end and all that..
ReplyDeleteShould think you'll be fine if you pace yourself, get the nutrition right and are not too proud to walk if required on some of those passes.
My first ever Sportive was last years 90 mile "Tour Ride" which followed the route of a hilly stage of the Tour of Britain. I'd never gone more than 50k before and entered four days before on a whim. Things started v badly when my front shifter ratchet broke in the start pen and went rapidly downhill when my front brake sheared off on the first downhill stretch! I had to ride 140km with only the small ring at the front and no front brake!
Got round though (albeit v slowly) and it was actually my most enjoyable ride yet. Had such a good crack at the back of the field with some other novice first timers who were suffering through it with good humour!
I'm sure tech problems aside you won't be at the back of the field and will thoroughly enjoy it.
Cheers and trust me I don't mind walking up if it's too extreme but I'll give it a good go. I feel better then after reading about your Tour Ride experience. Look out for the Fred Whitton report here in a few weeks. I think I will try to put in one century ride before then.
ReplyDelete