Tuesday, 13 April 2010

Lucky that my breasts are small and humble so you don't confuse them with mountains

Shakira, I always thought those lyrics rightly deserved their place in the worst song lyrics of all time but thinking about it you might have a point. If you did have bigger breasts and was hanging around the Pyrenees on July 18th there is a chance in my exhausted state that I might mistake your boobs for the Tourmalet and try to cycle up them.

Now then, where was I? Ah yes, music. There is something I was never going to mention here lest any last remnants of credibility I had might be squandered: I had flirted with the idea of taking an iPod with me on the Etape. There you go I've said it now. Now I would never normally listen to music while cycling on the road but I thought with the closed road conditions of the Etape and just for the 2 hours of the Tourmalet that I might pop the earphones in and use music to motivate me. You know something with a good beat and inspirational lyrics like Steps or The Backstreet Boys.

Revealing this now was prompted by a very interesting post on Simon Lewis's blog about listening to an iPod while running the Brighton marathon. The race organisers have banned this for reasons of safety which I find quite difficult to understand. What is even more incredible is the apparent militancy of anti-iPod (or any music player) runners. The full story is on Simon's blog.

So just in case this applies to sportives (where it might make more sense than a marathon?) I think I best abandon this plan. I haven't see anything in the Etape rules about it but because Cyclomundo are following my blog and might think that I'm a complete and utter fool and persuade the Etape organisers to give me bib number 9000 I've changed my mind OK.

6 comments:

  1. LOL. That would be some pair of breasts.....

    I think you should stick with the Tourmalet ipod plans but play some of the melodramatic backing tracks used during the ascents in the Cyclefilm etape recon video to spur you on...

    Only ever seen one person in a sportive (admittedly have only done 4 thus far!) with headphones in and that was in last weekend's Lakeland Loop when a Cancellara lookalike steamed past me after about 60 miles. It did suprise me a bit (the roads were v quiet but not closed) but he seemed to be enjoying himself at the time. I guess on the Tourmalet there's potential for a few emergency vehicles to need access to tend to expired riders if last years Etape is anything to go by all accounts.

    In my case earphones would be good to block out the sound of a rapidly approaching broom wagon...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took an ipod with me the first time I did the London marathon and never took it out of my pocket. With the buzz of the event and even the possibility of a few locals giving support on the Tourmalet I don't think you'll regret not taking music with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like the idea of blocking out the sound of the broomwagon revving up behind me. I'll leave it behind and create my own space to drift into between my ears - plenty of room there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You tickled me Andrew! What a lyric!
    I sang out loud on Ventoux last year :-) Sad, but bit of Miley Cyrus, "The Climb" did the trick. Whenever I hear it now, it takes me right back to that day.
    I sometimes use it when the going gets tough. Although I couldn't get Lady Ga Ga's, "I like it rough", out of my head when I did the Lakeland Loop for some strange reason.

    ReplyDelete
  5. just watched your shut up legs film - LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there Karen...excellent!!! Now you see I use Lady Gaga Pokerface when I'm cycling to work. Listen to the beat of that and it exactly matches my cadence on my fixed gear bike. I'm going to be singing my way up the Tourmalet now which will be very disturbing for those around. The Shut Up Legs is superb isn't it. I've got to thank Rich Semple for that one and I gave it a permanent spot on the blog so I never forget it.

    ReplyDelete