I'm delighted to say I have an unexpected free day which gives me an opportunity to update my blog, check the bike over and watch the Tour. Oh, something funny - when I said I had my bib number a while back? It wasn't mine. It was someone else with the same name and in the same category. Good luck Andrew!! If you get a really good time I hope that people confuse us!
Taper
I didn't really taper for the Fred or Etape du Dales and I didn't have a tapering plan for the Etape. I actually feel worse when I don't train. I get a kind of lethargy and I feel flabby. All purely psychological I know but that's the way I am. Last Sunday I had a great training ride which I blogged about, Monday I rested, Tuesday I rode to work, went to the gym at lunch and did a hilly ride home. Wednesday I did the same but riding home my right knee was very painful to the point where I was cycling left legged most of the way.
Of course on Thursday I rested the knee? Nahhhh of course not - I rode to work (carefully), skipped the gym and then rode home like a lunatic. Thursday night I was absolutely drained. Zero energy, aching all over. So Friday and Saturday I rested. I let my body tell me when to stop. Well it didn't actually tell me as much as have a real paddy so I stopped. Today I feel alright and had a quick spin out this morning. I wish the Etape was today because apart from sore knees I'm really up for it.
Travel plans
As I write I don't know if I am flying or driving. If driving then I need to sort out a bike rack for the car or buy a different car. We have accommodation booked and that's it so far.
The bike
I haven't had time to get it serviced. It seems to be alright though so I will give it my own service (i.e spray some oil at it, pump up the tyres and bang the wheels to make sure nothing is loose). I've only just ordered a gilet and arms warmers just in case it is a bit chilly.
Etape tactics
Now everything I have said so far (since this blog started) probably makes you think, "this bloke doesn't have a clue". Well I will tell you something else that will change that view. Well it will change it from "hasn't a clue" to "is Andrew really Gazza?".
I'm saving nothing for the Tourmalet. Yep you heard it. Everything I have watched or read says, take it easy, don't go too hard or you will blow up on the Tourmalet. If I get to the top of the Tourmalet and I can still speak then I've not worked hard enough. I reckon I rarely push myself to the limit. The Fred was close but I still drove home for 6 hours immediately afterwards so I couldn't have been that bad. The EdD shattered me but I think that was more to do with letting the weather get to me and too much faffing. I don't want to make the same mistake with the Etape.
So from the gun I'm going to ride hard. If I get to the foot of the Tourmalet and I am cooked then I will stop and have a rest. The thing is I suspect that I will still have something in reserve because my body will have put some auto controls in place. If I need to I will stop and have a drink at Super-Bareges. I was talking to a guy who has ridden extensively in the Alps and Pyrenees. He advised me to wear an HR monitor for the Etape. Now I usually use HR to make sure I am working hard enough. But on a long climb like the Tourmalet he said to use it to make sure you are not working too hard. So I will use it to ensure that I don't creep too far above 80% of max HR which for me is going to be about 145. I feel quite comfortable at that level. The only question is can I get up the Tourmalet and never get above 80%? Seems unlikely but I will try it.
Inspiration
I'm really looking forward to seeing the Tour move into the Alps today. It's going to be fascinating to see how the GC contenders play it. Has there though been a better sporting moment this year than Cav's win in stage 5? Aw bless. The HTC lead out train is a thing of beauty and the picture of him hunched low over the bars with that grimace has to be one of cycling's (sports?) great iconic images. When he broke down I just wanted to say, "come here you soppy twat" and give him a big cuddle.
No comments:
Post a Comment